Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sort Of Sleeping With The Enemy

So I had a lovely first date with the nanny state this morning - the colourful bunch at Work & Income. My case manager was at first a little stand-offish, a little staunch, a bit by-the-book. I mean, she's seen it all, right? WINZ attracts a 'melting pot' of people, looking for that wee bit of assistance.

Anyway, I think she felt sorry for me...after all, my story is the classic recessionary tale really isn't it? It's not that I want to hang out all day with Uncle Benny, but more that I don't have too much of a choice in the matter.

But we met, and I really think we connected. It was an exercise in pleasant conversation and happy times. More fun than small talk, but not exactly two souls meeting in the deep sands of time. SO, I qualify for accommodation supplement and maybe temporary financial help. And from what my CM was saying, being on unemployment sounds like more work than full time work. Next time someone complains about dole bludgers, remember they probably work harder than you do just to stay on the bennie.

Because of the wonderful mismanagement I encountered over the phone, I had no idea I needed letters from my employers confirming that I work for them, and my passport too. So today's plan? Retrieve said documentation, rendevous at the meeting point and await further instructions from CM. Excitement increasing exponentially inside extremities.



Yeah it's mellow and obscure, but when you're lost in a world of uncertainty and financial insecurity, sometimes this swirly minimalism makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment